The person making or directing a seizure pursuant to RSA 617:1 shall, without unnecessary delay, file a libel before a district court or a municipal court in towns and cities in which there is such court if the property does not exceed in value $500, and in other cases in the office of the clerk of the superior court, stating the cause and praying for a decree of forfeiture.