Terms Used In New Hampshire Revised Statutes > Chapter 286
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- governing body: shall mean the board of selectmen in a town, the board of aldermen or council in a city or town with a town council, the school board in a school district or the village district commissioners in a village district, or when used to refer to unincorporated towns or unorganized places, or both, the county commissioners. See New Hampshire Revised Statutes 21:48
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies corporate and politic as well as to individuals. See New Hampshire Revised Statutes 21:9
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.