As used in the DNA Identification Act:
Terms Used In New Mexico Statutes 29-16-3
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
A. “administrative center” means the part of a law enforcement agency crime laboratory that participates in the national DNA index system and that administers and operates the DNA identification system;
B. “CODIS” means the federal bureau of investigation’s national DNA index system for storage and exchange of DNA records submitted by forensic DNA laboratories;
C. “covered offender” means any person:
(1) convicted of a felony offense as an adult pursuant to state, federal or military law;
(2) convicted as an adult pursuant to youthful offender or serious youthful offender proceedings under the Children’s Code [Chapter 32A NMSA 1978] or pursuant to comparable or equivalent proceedings under state, federal or military law; or
(3) required to register as a sex offender pursuant to the provisions of the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act [Chapter 29, Article 11A NMSA 1978]; D. “department” means the department of public safety;
E. “DNA” means deoxyribonucleic acid as the basis of human heredity;
F. “DNA identification system” means the DNA identification system established pursuant to the DNA Identification Act;
G. “DNA oversight committee” means the DNA identification system oversight committee;
H. “DNA records” means the results of DNA testing and related information;
I. “DNA testing” means a forensic DNA analysis that includes restriction fragment length polymorphism, polymerase chain reaction or other valid methods of DNA typing performed to obtain identification characteristics of samples;
J. “fund” means the DNA identification system fund;
K. “missing persons DNA identification system” means the missing persons DNA identification system established by the DNA Identification Act;
L. “sample” means a sample of biological material sufficient for DNA testing; and
M. “sex offender DNA identification system” means the sex offender DNA identification system established by the DNA Identification Act.