New York Laws > Cooperative Corporations > Article 2 – Formation and Dissolution of Cooperative Corporations; Classes; Powers; By-Laws
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In New York Laws > Cooperative Corporations > Article 2 - Formation and Dissolution of Cooperative Corporations; Classes; Powers; By-Laws
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision.