- Account wagering licensee: means racing associations, and corporations; franchised corporations, off-track betting corporations, and commission approved multi-jurisdictional account wagering providers that have been authorized by the commission to offer account wagering. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001
- Account wagering: means a form of pari-mutuel wagering in which a person establishes an account with an account wagering licensee and subsequently communicates via telephone or other electronic media to the account wagering licensee wagering instructions concerning the funds in such person's account and wagers to be placed on the account owner's behalf. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Applicant: means any association, corporation or business entity applying for a simulcast license in accordance with the provisions of this article;
f. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001
- Commission: means the state gaming commission;
i. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Operator: means any association, corporation or business entity operating a simulcast facility in accordance with the provisions of this article;
g. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Simulcast: means the telecast of live audio and visual signals of running, harness or quarter horse races for the purposes of pari-mutuel wagering;
b. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001
- Simulcast facility: means those facilities within the state that are authorized pursuant to the provisions of this article to display simulcasts for pari-mutuel wagering purposes;
k. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Track: means the grounds or enclosures within which horse races are conducted by any person, association or corporation lawfully authorized to conduct such races in accordance with the terms and conditions of this chapter or the laws of another jurisdiction;
c. See N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law 1001