Terms Used In New York Laws > Penal > Part 4 > Title Y-1 > Article 490
- approved program: means a program for the education of specialist assistants which has been approved by the department. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.01
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Biological agent: means any micro-organism, virus, infectious substance, or biological product that may be engineered as a result of biotechnology, or any naturally occurring or bioengineered component of
any such micro-organism, virus, infectious substance, or biological product, capable of causing:
(a) death, disease, or other biological malfunction in a human, an animal, a plant, or another living organism;
(b) deterioration of food, water, equipment, supplies, or material of any kind; or
(c) deleterious alteration of the environment. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.05
- Biological weapon: means any biological agent, toxin, vector, or delivery system or combination thereof. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.05
- Capital offense: A crime punishable by death.
- Chemical weapon: means the following, together or separately:
(a) a toxic chemical or its precursors;
(b) a munition or device specifically designed to cause death or other harm through the toxic properties of a toxic chemical or its precursors, which would be released as a result of the employment of such munition or device;
(c) any equipment specifically designed for use directly in connection with the employment of munitions or devices; or
(d) any device that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.05
- curd: as used in this article applies to the substance otherwise known as "pot cheese" or "cottage cheese. See N.Y. Penal Law 470.00
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Delivery system: means :
(a) any apparatus, equipment, device, or means of delivery specifically designed to deliver or disseminate a biological agent, toxin, or vector; or
(b) any vector. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.05
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- hospital: means an institution or facility possessing a valid operating certificate issued pursuant to article twenty-eight of the public health law and authorized to employ specialist assistants in accordance with rules and regulations of the public health and health planning council. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.01
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Material support or resources: means currency or other financial securities, financial services, lodging, training, safehouses, false documentation or identification, communications equipment, facilities, weapons, lethal substances, explosives, personnel, transportation, and other physical assets, except medicine or religious materials. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.05
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- physician: means a practitioner of medicine licensed to practice medicine pursuant to article one hundred thirty-one of this chapter. See N.Y. Penal Law 480.25
- physician: means a practitioner of medicine licensed to practice medicine pursuant to article one hundred thirty-one of this chapter. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.01
- physician assistant: means a person who is licensed as a physician assistant pursuant to this article. See N.Y. Penal Law 480.25
- Select biological agent: shall mean a biological weapon which has been identified in regulations promulgated pursuant to subdivision twenty-one of section two hundred six of the public health law. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.05
- Select chemical agent: shall mean a chemical weapon which has been identified in regulations promulgated pursuant to subdivision twenty of section two hundred six of the public health law. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.05
- specialist assistant: means a person who is registered pursuant to this article as a specialist assistant for a particular medical specialty as defined by regulations promulgated by the commissioner of health pursuant to section thirty-seven hundred eleven of the public health law. See N.Y. Penal Law 490.01
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.