Terms Used In New York Laws > Public Health > Article 21 > Title 3
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Illegal drug: means any controlled substance or marijuana the possession of which is an offense under the public health law or the penal law. See N.Y. General Obligations Law 12-102
- Passenger: means a person in or on or being transported by a tramway. See N.Y. General Obligations Law 18-102
- Passenger tramway: means a mechanical device intended to transport skiers for the purpose of providing access to ski slopes and trails as defined by the commissioner of labor pursuant to section two hundred two-c or eight hundred sixty-seven of the labor law. See N.Y. General Obligations Law 18-102
- Person: means an individual, a governmental entity, corporation, firm, trust, partnership, or incorporated or unincorporated association, existing under or authorized by the laws of this state, another state, or a foreign country. See N.Y. General Obligations Law 12-102
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Ski area: means all ski slopes, ski trails and passenger tramways administered as a single enterprise within this state. See N.Y. General Obligations Law 18-102
- Ski area operator: means a person, firm or corporation, and its agents
and employees, having operational and administrative responsibility for any ski area, including any agency of the state, any political subdivision thereof, and any other governmental agency or instrumentality. See N.Y. General Obligations Law 18-102
- Skier: means any person wearing a ski or skis and any person actually on a ski slope or trail located at a ski area, for the purpose of skiing. See N.Y. General Obligations Law 18-102
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.