New York Laws > Public Health > Article 4 > Title 2 – Hospitals: Boards of Visitors
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In New York Laws > Public Health > Article 4 > Title 2 - Hospitals: Boards of Visitors
- Active volunteer firefighter: means a person who has been approved by the authorities in control of a duly organized volunteer fire company or volunteer fire department as an active volunteer firefighter of such fire company or department and who is faithfully and actually performing service in the protection of life and property from fire or other emergency, accident or calamity in connection with which the services of such fire company or fire department are required. See N.Y. General Municipal Law 215
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Entitlement age: means the age designated by the sponsor at which a program participant is entitled to begin receiving an unreduced service award. See N.Y. General Municipal Law 215
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Participant: means an active volunteer firefighter who is eligible for a benefit under a service award program. See N.Y. General Municipal Law 215
- program: means a defined benefit plan or defined contribution plan established or maintained under this article to provide service awards for active volunteer firefighters, pursuant to the benefit options specified by the sponsoring organization. See N.Y. General Municipal Law 215
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Service award: means the benefit payable to a participant in a service award program. See N.Y. General Municipal Law 215
- sponsoring organization: means a political subdivision which has established or jointly established a service award program, a volunteer fire company or department, or any other entity responsible for fire protection. See N.Y. General Municipal Law 215
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.