New York Laws > Transportation Corporations > Article 10 – Sewage-Works Corporations.
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In New York Laws > Transportation Corporations > Article 10 - Sewage-Works Corporations.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Local governing body: means the legislative body of a city, town or village authorized by law to establish a sewer district or otherwise to provide sewage-works facilities in such city, town or village wherein is located the area to be served by the sewage-works corporation. See N.Y. Transportation Corporations Law 115
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Sewage-works corporation: means a corporation heretofore or hereafter organized to provide a sewer system as hereinafter defined for the disposal of sewage, through an established system of pipe lines, treatment plants and other means of disposal, and which erects, operates, maintains and performs other necessary acts incidental thereto, disposal systems for sewer areas formed within towns or villages and other municipal areas of the state. See N.Y. Transportation Corporations Law 115
- Sewer district: means a county sewer district established pursuant to Article 5-A of the county law or a town sewer district established pursuant to Article 12-A of the town law. See N.Y. Transportation Corporations Law 115
- Sewer system: means all sewer pipes and other appurtenances which are used or useful in whole or in part in connection with the collection, treatment or disposal of sewage, and other waste, including sewage pumping stations and sewage treatment and disposal plants and sites. See N.Y. Transportation Corporations Law 115