|§ 225||Jurisdiction; Transfer of Cases; Hearing Officers; Regulations|
|§ 226||Summons; Answer|
|§ 227||Hearings; Determinations|
|§ 228||Administrative Review|
Terms Used In New York Laws > Vehicle & Traffic > Title 2 > Article 2-A
- answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.