To qualify for a license as a massage therapist, masseur or masseuse, an applicant shall fulfill the following requirements:
(1) Application: file an application with the department;
(2) Education: have received an education, including high school graduation and graduation from a school or institute of massage therapy with a program registered by the department, or its substantial equivalent in both subject matter and extent of training, provided that the program in such school or institute shall consist of classroom instruction of a total of not less than five hundred hours in subjects satisfactory to the department;
(3) Examination: pass an examination satisfactory to the board and in accordance with the commissioner’s regulations;
(4) Age: be at least eighteen years of age;
(5) Citizenship or immigration status: be a United States citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States;
(6) Character: be of good moral character as determined by the department; and
(7) Fees: pay a fee of one hundred fifteen dollars to the department for admission to a department conducted examination and for an initial license, a fee of forty-five dollars for each reexamination, a fee of fifty dollars for an initial license for persons not requiring admission to a department conducted examination, and a fee of fifty dollars for each triennial registration period.