1. Containment of regulated medical waste shall be in a manner and location which affords protection from the environment and limits exposure to the public.
2. Unless otherwise approved by the department, regulated medical waste shall be contained at the generator’s facility and at any other location off the site of the generator’s facility only for such periods and under such conditions pursuant to rules and regulations adopted in furtherance of this title.
3. Containment of regulated medical waste shall be separate from other wastes. Containers used for the containment of regulated medical waste shall be marked with prominent warning signs on the containers with the word “infectious” or the words “regulated medical waste”.
4. Regulated medical waste, except for all discarded sharps, shall be contained in bags which are impervious to moisture and have a strength sufficient to resist ripping, tearing or bursting under normal conditions of usage and of handling. The bags shall be secured so as to prevent leakage during storage, handling or transport. All bags used for containment and disposal of regulated medical wastes shall be red in color.
5. All discarded sharps shall be contained for disposal in leakproof, rigid, puncture-resistant containers which are secured to preclude loss of the contents. Such containers shall be red in color or shall be conspicuously labeled with the word “infectious” or the words “regulated medical waste”.
6. Before regulated medical waste is transported from the generator’s facility, regulated medical waste contained in disposable containers shall be placed for storage or handling in disposable or reusable pails, cartons, drums or portable bins. The containment system shall be leakproof, have tight-fitting covers and be kept clean and in good repair. The containers may be of any color and shall be conspicuously labeled with the word “infectious” or the words “regulated medical waste”.
7. Reusable containers for regulated medical waste shall be thoroughly washed and decontaminated each time they are emptied in conformity with procedures prescribed by the department of health, unless the surfaces of the containers have been completely protected from contamination by disposable liners, bags or other devices removed with the waste.
8. Reusable pails, drums or bins used for containment of regulated medical waste shall not be used for containment of waste to be disposed of as other wastes or for other purposes except after being decontaminated in conformity with procedures prescribed by the department of health.
9. Trash chutes shall not be used to transfer regulated medical waste between locations where it is contained.