*1. Notwithstanding the definition of “controlling interest” contained in subdivision two of section fourteen hundred thirty-nine-a of this article or anything to the contrary contained in subdivision five of section fourteen hundred thirty-nine-a of this article, the tax imposed pursuant to this article shall apply to (a) the original conveyance of shares of stock in a cooperative housing corporation in connection with the grant or transfer of a proprietary leasehold by the cooperative corporation or cooperative plan sponsor, and (b) the subsequent conveyance of such stock in a cooperative housing corporation in connection with the grant or transfer of a proprietary leasehold by the owner thereof. With respect to any such subsequent conveyance where the property is an individual residential unit, the consideration for the interest conveyed shall exclude the value of any liens on certificates of stock or other evidences of an ownership interest in and a proprietary lease from a corporation or partnership formed for the purpose of cooperative ownership of residential interest in real estate remaining thereon at the time of conveyance. In determining the tax on a conveyance described in paragraph (a) of this subdivision, a credit shall be allowed for a proportionate part of the amount of any tax paid upon the conveyance to the cooperative housing corporation of the real property comprising the cooperative dwelling or dwellings to the extent that such conveyance effectuated a mere change of identity or form of ownership of such property and not a change in the beneficial ownership of such property. The amount of the credit shall be determined by multiplying the amount of tax paid upon the conveyance to the cooperative housing corporation by a percentage representing the extent to which such conveyance effectuated a mere change of identity or form of ownership and not a change in the beneficial ownership of such property, and then multiplying the resulting product by a fraction, the numerator of which shall be the number of shares of stock conveyed in a transaction described in paragraph (a) of this subdivision, and the denominator of which shall be the total number of shares of stock of the cooperative housing corporation (including any stock held by the corporation). In no event, however, shall such credit reduce the tax, on a conveyance described in paragraph (a) of this subdivision, below zero, nor shall any such credit be allowed for a tax paid more than twenty-four months prior to the date on which occurs the first in a series of conveyances of shares of stock in an offering of cooperative housing corporation shares described in paragraph (a) of this subdivision.
Terms Used In N.Y. Tax Law 1439-G*2
- Consideration: means the price actually paid or required to be paid for the real property or interest therein, including payment for an option or contract to purchase real property, whether or not expressed in the deed and whether paid or required to be paid by money, property, or any other thing of value. See N.Y. Tax Law 1439-A*2
- Conveyance: means the transfer or transfers of any interest in real property by any method, including but not limited to, sale, exchange, assignment, surrender, mortgage foreclosure, transfer in lieu of foreclosure, option, trust indenture, taking by eminent domain, conveyance upon liquidation or by a receiver, or transfer or acquisition of a controlling interest in any entity with an interest in real property. See N.Y. Tax Law 1439-A*2
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Grantee: means the person who obtains real property or interest therein as a result of a conveyance. See N.Y. Tax Law 1439-A*2
- Grantor: means the person making the conveyance of real property or interest therein. See N.Y. Tax Law 1439-A*2
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Tax: shall mean the real estate transfer tax imposed pursuant to section fourteen hundred thirty-nine-b of this article or, if the
context clearly indicates, shall mean the real estate transfer tax imposed pursuant to article thirty-one of this chapter. See N.Y. Tax Law 1439-A*2
- Treasurer: means the treasurer of the county of Columbia. See N.Y. Tax Law 1439-A*2
2. Every cooperative housing corporation shall be required to file an information return with the treasurer by July fifteenth of each year covering the preceding period of January first through June thirtieth and by January fifteenth of each year covering the preceding period of July first through December thirty-first. The return shall contain such information regarding the conveyance of shares of stock in the cooperative housing corporation as the treasurer may deem necessary, including, but not limited to, the names, addresses and employee identification numbers or social security numbers of the grantor and the grantee, the number of shares conveyed, the date of the conveyance and the consideration paid for such conveyance.
* NB Repealed December 31, 2027
* NB There are 3 § 1439-g’s