(a) It shall be unlawful to engage in the practice of electrolysis or laser, light source, or pulsed-light treatments in this State without a license.
(b) Any person practicing electrology or laser, light source, or pulsed-light treatments for the purpose of hair removal or hair reduction in this State without being licensed by the Board shall be guilty of a Class I felony and may be assessed a civil penalty of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000) for each offense. Any other violation of this Chapter shall be a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1033, s. 1; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1003, s. 2; 1993, c. 530, s. 3; c. 539, s. 609; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2007-489, s. 3.)
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes 88A-4
- Board: means the North Carolina Board of Electrolysis Examiners. See North Carolina General Statutes 88A-3
- Electrology: means the art and practice relating to the removal of hair from the normal skin of the human body by application of an electric current to the hair papilla by means of a needle or needles so as to cause growth inactivity of the hair papilla and thus permanently remove the hair. See North Carolina General Statutes 88A-3
- Electrolysis: means the permanent removal of hair by the application of an electrical current to the dermal papilla by a filament to cause decomposition, coagulation, or dehydration within the hair follicle as approved by the Food and Drug Administration of the United States Government. See North Carolina General Statutes 88A-3
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories, so called; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3