1. The board of a school district may offer and, upon the signing of the contract by both parties, pay a signing bonus to an individual who:
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 15.1-09-33.1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Individual: means a human being. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- year: means twelve consecutive months. See North Dakota Code 1-01-33
a. Is licensed to teach by the education standards and practices board or approved to teach by the education standards and practices board;
b. Has signed a contract of employment to serve as a classroom teacher in the district; and
c. Was not employed as a classroom teacher by the board of a school district in this state during the previous school year.
2. The board may pay to the individual the signing bonus authorized by subsection 1 in:
a. One lump sum upon the individual signing a contract of employment; or
b. Installments over a period of time not to exceed three years from the date the individual signed a contract of employment.
3. A signing bonus paid under this section:
a. Is in addition to any amount payable under a negotiated teachers’ contract;
b. May not be included in the district’s negotiated salary schedule; and c. May not be included as salary for continuing contract purposes.