(1) The governing body of a city or a county, when a petition is filed as provided in this section, shall order an election on the question whether the sale, for beverage purposes, of alcoholic liquors of any of the classes described in this section shall be prohibited in the city or county. The classes of alcoholic liquor to which this section applies are:
Terms Used In Oregon Statutes 471.506
- City: includes any incorporated village or town. See N.Y. Penal Law 235.05 - Obscenity in the Third Degree
(a) Alcoholic liquors containing more than five percent alcohol by volume;
(b) Alcoholic liquors containing more than 14 percent alcohol by volume; and
(c) All alcoholic liquors.
(2) Except as provided in subsections (3), (4) and (5) of this section, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section:
(a) In the case of a city, shall be as provided for an initiative petition under ORS 250.265 to 250.346.
(b) In the case of a county, shall be as provided for an initiative petition under ORS 250.165 to 250.235.
(3) A petition under subsection (2) of this section:
(a) Must be filed not less than 60 days before the day of the election;
(b) Must specify whether the prohibition would apply to the sale of all alcoholic liquors or only to alcoholic liquors containing more than five percent alcohol by volume or more than 14 percent alcohol by volume; and
(c) Must be signed by not less than 10 percent of the electors registered in the city or county.
(4) If ORS 250.155 makes ORS 250.165 to 250.235 inapplicable to a county or if ORS 250.255 makes ORS 250.265 to 250.346 inapplicable to a city, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition under the county or city charter or an ordinance adopted under the county or city charter.
(5) No signature is valid unless signed within 180 days before the petition is filed.
(6) An election under this section shall be held at the time of the next statewide general election.
(7) An election under this section shall be conducted under ORS chapters 246 to 260. [1983 c.350 § 277 (471.506 enacted in lieu of 471.505); 1995 c.301 § 87]