Terms Used In Oregon Statutes > Chapter 106
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Anniversary: means the day each year that is exactly one or more years after:
(a) The date on which the Secretary of State files the articles of incorporation for a domestic corporation. See Oregon Statutes 60.001
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Articles: means articles of incorporation, articles of conversion or articles of merger. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Articles of incorporation: means the articles described in ORS 60. See Oregon Statutes 60.001
- Board: means board of directors. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Cooperative: means a cooperative corporation that is subject to the provisions of this chapter. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Corporation: means a corporation that is not a cooperative. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- County court: includes board of county commissioners. See Oregon Statutes 174.100
- Delivery: means a method of delivery that is used in conventional commercial practice and includes hand delivery, mail delivery, commercial delivery and electronic transmission. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Electronic signature: has the meaning given that term in ORS 84. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Electronic transmission: means a method of communicating information that:
(a) Does not directly involve a transfer of a physical object that embodies the communication; and
(b) Enables the recipient to store, retrieve and reproduce the information. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Foreign cooperative: means a cooperative corporation that is organized under laws other than the laws of this state. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Foreign corporation: means a corporation for profit that is incorporated under laws other than the laws of the state. See Oregon Statutes 60.001
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- judicial department: means the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals, the Oregon Tax Court, the circuit courts and all administrative divisions of those courts, whether denominated as boards, commissions, committees or departments or by any other designation. See Oregon Statutes 174.113
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Membership stock: means any class of stock, continuous ownership of which is required for membership in a cooperative. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: means an individual, corporation, association, firm, partnership, joint stock company, cooperative or foreign cooperative. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Principal office: means the physical street address of an office, in or out of this state, where the principal executive offices of a domestic or foreign corporation are located and designated in the annual report or in the application for authority to transact business in this state. See Oregon Statutes 60.001
- Probate: Proving a will
- Proceeding: means a civil, criminal, administrative or investigatory action. See Oregon Statutes 60.001
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Signature: means a manual, facsimile, conformed or electronic signature. See Oregon Statutes 62.015
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.