(a) A health insurance policy, subscriber contract, or health plan offered, issued, issued for delivery, or issued to cover a resident of this state by a health insurance company licensed pursuant to this title and/or chapter:
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws 27-18-71. Prohibition on preexisting condition exclusions
- health benefit plan: means health insurance coverage and a group health plan, including coverage provided through an association plan if it covers Rhode Island residents. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-18-1.1
(1) Shall not limit or exclude coverage for an individual under the age of nineteen (19) by imposing a preexisting condition exclusion on that individual.
(2) For plan or policy years beginning on or after January 1, 2014, shall not limit or exclude coverage for any individual by imposing a preexisting condition exclusion on that individual.
(b) As used in this section:
(1) “Preexisting condition exclusion” means a limitation or exclusion of benefits, including a denial of coverage, based on the fact that the condition (whether physical or mental) was present before the effective date of coverage, or if the coverage is denied, the date of denial, under a health benefit plan whether or not any medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received before the effective date of coverage.
(2) “Preexisting condition exclusion” means any limitation or exclusion of benefits, including a denial of coverage, applicable to an individual as a result of information relating to an individual’s health status before the individual’s effective date of coverage, or if the coverage is denied, the date of denial, under the health benefit plan, such as a condition (whether physical or mental) identified as a result of a pre-enrollment questionnaire or physical examination given to the individual, or review of medical records relating to the pre-enrollment period.
(c) This section shall not apply to grandfathered health plans providing individual health insurance coverage.
(d) This section shall not apply to insurance coverage providing benefits for: (1) Hospital confinement indemnity; (2) Disability income; (3) Accident only; (4) Long-term care; (5) Medicare supplement; (6) Limited benefit health; (7) Specified disease indemnity; (8) Sickness or bodily injury or death by accident or both; and (9) Other limited benefit policies.
(P.L. 2012, ch. 256, § 2; P.L. 2012, ch. 262, § 2.)