Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws > Chapter 11-52.2
- Computer software: means a sequence of instructions written in any programming language that is executed on a computer. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.
- Damage: means any significant impairment to the integrity or availability of data, computer software, a system, or information. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.
- Intentionally deceptive: means any of the following:
(a) An intentionally and materially false or fraudulent statement;
(b) A statement or description that intentionally omits or misrepresents material information in order to deceive an owner or operator; and
(c) An intentional and material failure to provide any notice to an owner or operator regarding the installation or execution of computer software in order to deceive the owner or operator. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.
- Internet: means the global information system that is logically linked together by a globally unique address space based on the internet protocol (IP), or its subsequent extensions, and that is able to support communications using the transmission control protocol/internet protocol (TCP/IP) suite, or its subsequent extensions, or other IP-compatible protocols, and that provides, uses, or makes accessible, either publicly or privately, high level services layered on the communications and related infrastructure described in this subsection. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.
- Owner or operator: means the owner or lessee of a computer, or someone using such computer with the owner's or lessee's authorization. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.
- person: extends to and includes co-partnerships and bodies corporate and politic. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-6.
- Person: means any individual, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, or other organization, or any combination thereof. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.
- Personally identifiable information: means any of the following with respect to an individual who is an owner or operator:
(a) First name or first initial in combination with last name;
(b) A home or other physical address including street name;
(c) An electronic mail address;
(d) A credit or debit card number, bank account number, or a password or access code associated with a credit or debit card or bank account;
(e) Social security number, tax identification number, driver's license number, passport number, or any other government-issued identification number; and
(f) Any of the following information in a form that personally identifies an owner or operator:
(i) Account balances;
(ii) Overdraft history; and
(iii) Payment history. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.
- Transmit: means to transfer, send, or make available computer software, or any component thereof, via the internet or any other medium, including local area networks of computers, other nonwire transmission, and disc or other data storage device. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-52.2-1.