(B) An application under subsection (A) of this section must include:
Terms Used In South Carolina Code 17-30-140
- Person: means an employee or agent of the State of South Carolina or political subdivision of the State, of the United States, or of any other state or political subdivision of the State, and any individual, partnership, association, joint stock company, trust, or corporation. See South Carolina Code 17-30-15
- State: means any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any other possession or territory of the United States. See South Carolina Code 17-30-15
(1) a statement of the identity of the applicant;
(2) a certification by the applicant that probable cause exists to believe that the information likely to be obtained is relevant to an ongoing criminal investigation being conducted by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division or any law enforcement entity of a political subdivision of this State which may provide evidence relating to any offense or any evidence of any conspiracy or solicitation to commit any violation of the laws of this State;
(3) a statement of the offense to which the information likely to be obtained relates; and
(4) a statement whether it may be necessary to use and monitor the mobile tracking device outside the jurisdiction of the court from which the authorization is being sought.
(C) Upon application made as provided under subsection (B), the court, upon a finding that the certification and statements required by subsection (B) have been made in the application and probable cause exists, must enter an ex parte order authorizing the installation and use of a mobile tracking device. The order may authorize the use of the device within the jurisdiction of the court and outside that jurisdiction but within the State of South Carolina if the device is installed within the jurisdiction of the court.
(D) A court may require greater specificity or additional information beyond that which is required by this section as a requisite for issuing an order.
(E) The standards established by the United States Supreme Court for the installation and monitoring of mobile tracking devices apply to the installation and use of any device as authorized by this section.
(F) As used in this section, a "tracking device" means an electronic or mechanical device which permits the tracking of the movement of a person or object.