|Article 1||Access to Justice Post-Conviction DNA Testing Act|
|Article 3||Preservation of Evidence|
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 17 > Chapter 28
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Area of operation: means the area within the territorial boundaries of the municipality or municipalities for which a particular commission is created. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Blighted area: means any improved or vacant area where if improved, industrial, commercial, and residential buildings or improvements, because of a combination of five or more of the following factors: age; dilapidation; obsolescence; deterioration; illegal use of individual structures; presence of structures below minimum code standards; excessive vacancies; overcrowding of structures and community facilities; lack of ventilation, light, or sanitary facilities; inadequate utilities; excessive land coverage; deleterious land use or layout; depreciation of physical maintenance; lack of community planning, are detrimental to the public safety, health, morals, or welfare or, if vacant, the sound growth is impaired by (a) a combination of two or more of the following factors: obsolete platting of the vacant land; diversity of ownership of such land; tax and special assessment delinquencies on such land; deterioration of structures or site improvements in neighboring areas adjacent to the vacant land; or (b) the area immediately prior to becoming vacant qualified as a blighted area. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Bonds: shall include notes, bonds, refunding notes or bonds and other obligations authorized to be issued by this chapter. See South Carolina Code 31-9-10
- Bonds: means any bonds, interim certificates, notes, debentures or other obligations of a commission issued pursuant to this chapter. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- City: shall mean any incorporated municipality of the State. See South Carolina Code 31-9-10
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- Commission: means a public body and a body corporate and politic created and organized in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Conservation area: means any improved area that is not yet a blighted area but, because of a combination of three or more of the following factors: dilapidation; obsolescence; deterioration; illegal use of structures; presence of structures below minimum code standards; abandonment; excessive vacancies; overcrowding of structures and community facilities; lack of ventilation, light, or sanitary facilities; inadequate utilities; excessive land coverage; depreciation of physical maintenance; or lack of community planning, is detrimental to the public safety, health, morals, or welfare and may become a blighted area. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Developer: shall mean any person, firm or partnership who enters into a loan agreement with the city whereby the developer agrees to construct, operate and maintain or procure the construction, operation and maintenance of buildings or other facilities or improvements upon land purchased with the proceeds of bonds. See South Carolina Code 31-9-10
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- External procurement activity: means :
(a) any buying organization not located in this State which, if located in this State, would qualify as a public procurement unit;
(b) buying by the United States government. See South Carolina Code 11-35-4610
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Governing board: shall mean the governing body of any city. See South Carolina Code 31-9-10
- Governing body: means in the legislative body of a municipality. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Government: means the state and federal governments or any subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of either of them. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Land: shall mean any real estate, whether improved or unimproved, located within any city which the governing board of such city proposes to acquire from the proceeds derived from the issuance of bonds after making a determination that the acquisition of such land is necessary in connection with any slum clearance or redevelopment work. See South Carolina Code 31-9-10
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Loan agreement: shall mean any agreement, including without limitation, an agreement whereby the city shall lease land to a developer, made by and between a governing board and a developer by which the developer agrees to pay (and to secure if so required) the city or to any assignee thereof, the sums required to meet the payment of the principal, interest and redemption premium, if any, on any bonds. See South Carolina Code 31-9-10
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Municipality: means any incorporated city or town or any county. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Parent municipality: means the municipality or municipalities creating a commission. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public procurement unit: means any of the following:
(a) a local public procurement unit;
(b) a state public procurement unit;
(c) an external procurement activity; or
(d) any not-for-profit entity comprised only of more than one activity or unit listed in subitems (a), (b), or (c), if and as approved in writing by the Materials Management Officer. See South Carolina Code 11-35-4610
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Redeveloper: means any individual, partnership, or public or private corporation that shall enter or propose to enter into a contract with a commission for the redevelopment of all or any part of a redevelopment area under the provisions of this chapter. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Redevelopment: means the acquisition, replanning, clearance, rehabilitation or rebuilding of an area for residential, recreational, commercial, industrial or other purposes, including the provision of streets, utilities, parks, recreational areas and other open spaces; provided, without limiting the generality thereof, the term "redevelopment" may include a program of repair and rehabilitation of buildings and other improvements, and may include the exercise of any powers under this chapter with respect to the area for which such program is undertaken. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Redevelopment area: means any area that a commission may find to be a blighted area, a conservation area, or any combination thereof, so as to require redevelopment under the provisions of this chapter. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Redevelopment contract: means a contract between a commission and a redeveloper for redevelopment under the provisions of this chapter. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Redevelopment plan: means a plan for the redevelopment of a redevelopment area made by a commission in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Redevelopment project: means any work or undertaking:
(a) to acquire blighted or conservation areas, including lands, structures, or improvements, the acquisition of which is necessary or incidental to the proper clearance, development, or redevelopment of such areas or to the prevention of the spread or recurrence of conditions of blight;
(b) to clear any such areas by demolition or removal of existing buildings, structures, streets, utilities, or other improvements thereon and to install, construct, or reconstruct streets, utilities, and site improvements essential to the preparation of sites for uses in accordance with the redevelopment plan;
(c) to sell land in such areas for residential, recreational, commercial, industrial, or other use or for the public use to the highest bidder set out by the provisions of this chapter or to retain such land for public use, in accordance with the redevelopment plan;
(d) to carry out plans for a program of repair, rehabilitation, or reconditioning of buildings or other improvements in such areas, including the making of loans;
(e) to engage in programs of assistance and financing, including the making of loans for rehabilitation, repair, construction, acquisition, or reconditioning of residential units in a redevelopment area. See South Carolina Code 31-10-20
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Writ of certiorari: An order issued by the Supreme Court directing the lower court to transmit records for a case for which it will hear on appeal.