South Carolina Code > Title 55 > Chapter 9 – South Carolina Airports Act
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 55 > Chapter 9 - South Carolina Airports Act
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Commercial fertilizer: means a substance containing one or more recognized plant nutrients used for plant nutrient content and designed for use or claimed to have value in promoting plant growth, except unmanipulated animal and vegetable manures, marl, lime, limestone, wood ashes, and other products exempted by regulation of the commission. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Commission: means the State Crop Pest Commission or an officer or employee of the commission to whom it delegates its authority. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Director: means the Director of Regulatory and Public Service Programs, Clemson University. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Distributor: means a person who imports, consigns, manufactures, produces compounds of, mixes, or blends commercial fertilizer or who offers for sale, sells, barters, or otherwise supplies commercial fertilizer in this State. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Guaranteed analysis: means the minimum percentage of plant nutrients claimed in accordance with § 46-25-30. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Label: means the display of all written, printed, or graphic matter upon the immediate container or statement accompanying a commercial fertilizer. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Labeling: means all written, printed, or graphic matter upon or accompanying commercial fertilizer or advertisements, brochures, posters, television, and radio announcements used in promoting the sale of commercial fertilizers. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Percent: means the percentage by weight. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Person: includes individual, partnership, association, firm, and corporation. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Registrant: means the person who registers commercial fertilizer under this chapter. See South Carolina Code 46-25-20
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.