Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws > Title 22 > Chapter 24B
- Adult: any person who is not a minor as defined in chapter 26-1. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Day: the period from midnight to midnight. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Good faith: an honest intention to abstain from taking any unconscientious advantage of another, even through the forms or technicalities of law, together with an absence of all information or belief of facts which would render the transaction unconscientious. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Government: the United States, any state, county, municipality, school district, or other political unit, or any department, agency, or subdivision of any of the foregoing, or any corporation or other association carrying out the functions of any of the foregoing. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2
- Indian tribe: any government of any Indian tribe which is located either wholly or partially within the State of South Dakota and which has a constitution or a charter approved by the secretary of the Department of the Interior and which possesses the powers of self-government. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Law enforcement officer: any officer, prosecutor, or employee of the state or any of its political subdivisions or of the United States, or, while on duty, an agent or employee of a railroad or express company or security personnel of an airline or airport, who is responsible for the prevention, detection, or prosecution of crimes, for the enforcement of the criminal or highway traffic laws of the state, or for the supervision of confined persons or those persons on supervised release or probation. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: a calendar month. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Motor vehicle: any automobile, motor truck, motorcycle, house trailer, trailer coach, cabin trailer, or any vehicle propelled by power other than muscular power. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2
- Municipality: any municipality organized as provided in Title 9. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2
Offense: or "public offense" any crime, petty offense, violation of a city or county ordinance, or act prohibited by state or federal law. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2 Person: any natural person, unborn child, association, limited liability company, corporation, firm, organization, partnership, or society. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2 Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court. Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. Public record: any official book, paper, or record created, received, or used by or in any office or agency of the state or of any of its political subdivisions. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2 Service: labor that does not include a tangible commodity. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2 State: the State of South Dakota. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2 Verdict: includes not only the verdict of a jury, but also the finding upon the facts of a judge, or of a referee appointed to determine the issues in a cause. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2 Victim: any natural person against whom the defendant in a criminal prosecution has committed or attempted to commit a crime. See South Dakota Codified Laws 22-1-2 Writing: and "written" include typewriting and typewritten, printing and printed, except in the case of signatures, and where the words are used by way of contrast to typewriting and printing. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2 Year: a calendar year. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2