Where a husband has deserted his family, the wife may prosecute or defend, in the husband’s name, any action that the husband might have prosecuted or defended. The wife may also sue and be sued in her own name for any cause of action accruing subsequently to such desertion.

[Code 1858, § 2805; Shan., § 4505; Code 1932, § 8632; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 20-104.]