(a) A person may not, with intent to defraud, induce an agent of a common carrier to:
(1) issue to the person a bill of lading; or
(2) materially misrepresent in a bill of lading issued on behalf of the common carrier the quantity of goods described in the bill of lading.
(b) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a felony punishable by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for a term of not more than five years or less than two years.
Terms Used In Texas Business and Commerce Code 252.006
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Justice: when applied to a magistrate, means justice of the peace. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005