|§ 17.01.||Application to existing domestic corporations|
|§ 17.02.||Application to qualified foreign corporations|
|§ 17.03.||Savings provisions|
|§ 17.05.||Public benefit and mutual benefit corporations|
Terms Used In Vermont Statutes > Title 11B > Chapter 17 - Applicability
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Corporation: means public benefit and mutual benefit corporation. See
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Directors: means individuals, designated in the articles or bylaws or elected by the incorporators, and their successors and individuals elected or appointed by any other name or title to act as members of the board. See
- Domestic: when applied to a corporation, company, association, or copartnership shall mean organized under the laws of this State; "foreign" when so applied, shall mean organized under the laws of another state, government, or country. See
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fees: shall mean earnings due for official services, aside from salaries or per diem compensation. See
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Justice: when applied to a person, other than a Justice of the Supreme Court, shall mean a justice of the peace for the county for which he or she is elected or appointed. See
- Magistrate: shall mean any Supreme Court Justice, Superior judge, District judge, or Probate judge. See
- Meeting: means any structured communications conducted by participants in person or through the use of an electronic or telecommunications medium permitting simultaneous or sequentially structured communications. See
- Mutual benefit corporation: means a domestic corporation which is required to be a mutual benefit corporation pursuant to section 17. See
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: shall include any natural person, corporation, municipality, the State of Vermont or any department, agency, or subdivision of the State, and any partnership, unincorporated association, or other legal entity. See
- Proceeding: includes civil suit and criminal, administrative, and investigatory action. See
- Public benefit corporation: means a domestic corporation which is required to be a public benefit corporation pursuant to section 17. See
- real estate: as used in this chapter shall mean such lands, tenements, rights, and estates as are made liable to execution by section 2781 of this title. See
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States may apply to the District of Columbia and any territory and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- sworn: shall include affirmed. See
- Town: shall include city and wards or precincts therein; "selectboard members" and "board of civil authority" shall extend to and include the mayor and aldermen of cities; "trustees" shall extend to and include bailiffs of incorporated villages; and the laws applicable to the inhabitants and officers of towns shall be applicable to the inhabitants and similar officers of all municipal corporations. See
- United States: includes district, authority, bureau, commission, department, and any other agency of the United States. See
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.