|Subchapter 1||General Provisions||402 – 405|
|Subchapter 2||Restrictions||421 – 428|
|Subchapter 3||Accidents and Liability for Injury||476 – 486|
Terms Used In Vermont Statutes > Title 5 > Chapter 13
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Agency: means the Agency of Transportation. See
- Aircraft: means a contrivance used or designed for navigation of or flight in the air and specifically includes ultralight aircraft. See
- Airman: means an individual:
- Airport: means any area of land or water set aside by the Agency, any political subdivision, or person, except a restricted landing area, which is designed for the landing and take-off of aircraft, and used or to be used in the interest of the general public whether or not facilities are provided for the shelter, servicing, or repair of aircraft, or for receiving or discharging passengers or cargo, and all appurtenant areas used or suitable for airport buildings or other airport facilities, including all appurtenant rights-of-way. See
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Fees: shall mean earnings due for official services, aside from salaries or per diem compensation. See
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- following: when used by way of reference to a section of the law shall mean the next preceding or following section. See
- Justice: when applied to a person, other than a Justice of the Supreme Court, shall mean a justice of the peace for the county for which he or she is elected or appointed. See
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Person: means an individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint stock association, or body politic, including a trustee, receiver, assignee, or other similar representative. See
- Person: shall include any natural person, corporation, municipality, the State of Vermont or any department, agency, or subdivision of the State, and any partnership, unincorporated association, or other legal entity. See
- Person who is deaf or hard of hearing: means any person who has such difficulty hearing, even with amplification, that he or she cannot rely on hearing for communication. See
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Proceeding: means any judicial proceeding, contested case under 3 V. See
- Public aircraft: means aircraft used exclusively in the service of any government, or any political subdivision, but not including any government-owned aircraft engaged in carrying persons or property for commercial purposes. See
- Qualified interpreter: means an interpreter for a person who is deaf or hard of hearing who meets standards of competency established by the national or Vermont Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf as amended, by rule, by the Vermont Commission of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. See
- real estate: shall include lands, tenements, and hereditaments and all rights thereto and interests therein, and pews or slips in places of public worship shall be treated as real estate. See
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Restricted landing area: means an area of land or water, or both, that is used or is made available for the landing and take-off of aircraft, the use of which, except in case of emergency, shall be only as provided from time to time by the Board. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Transportation. See
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Structure: means any object constructed or installed by man, including buildings, towers, smokestacks, and overhead transmission lines. See
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Town: shall include city and wards or precincts therein; "selectboard members" and "board of civil authority" shall extend to and include the mayor and aldermen of cities; "trustees" shall extend to and include bailiffs of incorporated villages; and the laws applicable to the inhabitants and officers of towns shall be applicable to the inhabitants and similar officers of all municipal corporations. See
- Village: shall mean an incorporated village. See