(1) In this section, “the schedule” means the schedule under s. 20.005 (3) as published in the biennial budget act for the first fiscal year of a fiscal biennium and as approved by the joint committee on finance under s. 20.004 (2) for the 2nd fiscal year of a fiscal biennium.
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 165.02
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
(a) Subject to par. (b), annually by December 1 or within 30 days after the applicable federal appropriation bill for that federal fiscal year has been enacted, whichever is later, the attorney general shall submit to the joint committee on finance a plan identifying how the attorney general proposes to adjust the federal appropriations for the department of justice for that state fiscal year to reflect the most recent estimate of the amount of federal funds that the department of justice will be appropriated in that state fiscal year.
(b) The attorney general is required to submit a plan under par. (a) only if the most recent estimate of the amount of federal funds that the department of justice will be appropriated under s. 20.455 in the current state fiscal year is less than 95 percent or more than 105 percent of the amount of federal revenue shown in the schedule for the appropriations under s. 20.455 in that fiscal year.
(3) After receiving a plan under sub. (2) (a), the cochairpersons of the joint committee on finance jointly shall determine whether the plan is complete. If the joint committee on finance meets and either approves or modifies and approves a plan submitted under sub. (2) (a) within 14 days after the cochairpersons determine that the plan is complete, the attorney general shall implement the plan as approved by the committee. If the joint committee on finance does not meet and either approve or modify and approve a plan submitted under sub. (2) (a) within 14 days after the cochairpersons determine that the plan is complete, the attorney general shall implement the proposed plan.