Wisconsin Statutes 985.075 – Substance of 2nd and 3rd insertions
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 985.075
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Governing body: has the meaning given in…. See Wisconsin Statutes 985.01
- insertion: when used to indicate the publication of a legal notice more than one time, means once each week for consecutive weeks, the last of which shall be at least one week before the act or event, unless otherwise specified by law. See Wisconsin Statutes 985.01
- Legal notice: means every notice required by law or by order of a court to be published in a newspaper or other publication, except notices required by private and local laws to be published in newspapers, and includes all of the following:
(a) Every publication of laws, ordinances, resolutions, financial statements, budgets and proceedings intended to give notice in an area. See Wisconsin Statutes 985.01
Municipality: has the meaning in…. See Wisconsin Statutes 985.01 Newspaper: includes a daily newspaper published in a county having a population of 750,000 or more, devoted principally to business news and publishing of records, which has been designated by the courts of record of the county for publication of legal notices for a period of 6 months or more. See Wisconsin Statutes 985.01 Wisconsin newspapers legal notices Internet site: means an Internet site maintained by Wisconsin newspapers for the purpose of providing and maintaining an electronic version of printed and published legal notices. See Wisconsin Statutes 985.01
(1) In this section, “summary” means a brief, precise, and plain-language description that can be easily understood.
(2) Except as provided in sub. (3), when a governing body of a municipality is required by law to publish a legal notice as a class 2 notice or a class 3 notice, the governing body may, for the 2nd and 3rd insertions and in lieu of publishing the full text of the material required to be included in the first insertion of the legal notice, publish a summary of the material included in the first insertion in the same manner in which the first insertion was published. The governing body shall ensure that the summary is accompanied by a notice that the full text of the material included in the first insertion is available for viewing at all of the following locations:
(a) As an electronic document on the governing body’s Internet site.
(b) In the newspaper in which the initial insertion was published.
(c) As an electronic document on the Wisconsin newspapers legal notices Internet site.
(d) In a readily accessible physical location within the municipality.
(3) This section does not apply to a legal notice required to be published by a municipality by order of a court or to a legal notice related to court proceedings required to be published by a municipality.