(a) The purpose of the regulations in this subpart is to implement the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer and sections 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607, 614 and 616 of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990, Public Law 101-549. The Protocol and section 604 impose limits on the production and consumption (defined as production plus imports minus exports, excluding transhipments and used controlled substances) of certain ozone-depleting substances, according to specified schedules. The Protocol also requires each nation that becomes a Party to the agreement to impose certain restrictions on trade in ozone-depleting substances with non-Parties.
Terms Used In 40 CFR 82.1
- Consumption: means the production plus imports minus exports of a controlled substance (other than transhipments, or used controlled substances). See 40 CFR 82.3
- Controlled product: means a product that contains a controlled substance listed as a Class I, Group I or II substance in appendix A to this subpart. See 40 CFR 82.3
- Controlled substance: means any substance listed in appendix A or appendix B to this subpart, whether existing alone or in a mixture, but excluding any such substance or mixture that is in a manufactured product other than a container used for the transportation or storage of the substance or mixture. See 40 CFR 82.3
- Montreal Protocol: means the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, a protocol to the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer, including adjustments adopted by the Parties thereto and amendments that have entered into force. See 40 CFR 82.3
- Party: means a foreign state that has deposited instruments of ratification, acceptance, or other form of approval with the Directorate of the United Nations Secretariat, evidencing the foreign state's ratification of the provisions of the 1987 Montreal Protocol, the London Amendment, the Copenhagen Amendment, or the Beijing Amendment, as specified. See 40 CFR 82.3
- Person: means any individual or legal entity, including an individual, corporation, partnership, association, state, municipality, political subdivision of a state, Indian tribe. See 40 CFR 82.3
- Production: means the manufacture of a controlled substance from any raw material or feedstock chemical, but does not include:
(1) The manufacture of a controlled substance that is subsequently transformed. See 40 CFR 82.3
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
(b) This subpart applies to any person that produces, transforms, destroys, imports or exports a controlled substance or imports or exports a controlled product.
[63 FR 41642, Aug. 4, 1998]