(a) In the event any driver‘s license issued under the provisions of this article is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the same was issued may upon payment of a fee of fifteen dollars ($15) and upon furnishing proof to the Director of Public Safety that the same has been lost or destroyed, secure a duplicate. The second and subsequent duplicates applied for will require the payment of a fee of fifteen dollars ($15) and, upon furnishing proof to the Director of Public Safety that his previously held license or duplicate has been lost or destroyed, secure another duplicate. Application for such duplicate will be made to the Director of Public Safety on forms provided by him. The fee shall be collected by the director, paid into the State Treasury and credited to the Highway Traffic Safety Fund for the Department of Public Safety.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-6-15
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- director: The Secretary of the Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of Alabama. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- driver: Every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- highway: The entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- traffic: Pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars, and other conveyances either singly or together while using any highway for purposes of travel. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
(b) Any person making a false affidavit to the Director of Public Safety for the purpose of obtaining a duplicate driver’s license shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 30 days or by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).