(a) An active or inactive member of the Alabama State Defense Force who is the owner of a motor vehicle and a resident of the state may be issued a distinctive Alabama State Defense Force license tag or plate. The distinctive plates or tags shall be designed by the Department of Revenue with the advice of the Commander of the Alabama State Defense Force. Applicants for the distinctive plates shall present to the judge of probate or license commissioner proof of active or inactive membership in the Alabama State Defense Force on forms prescribed by the Commander of the Alabama State Defense Force. The members of the Alabama State Defense Force shall comply with the motor vehicle registration and licensing laws, pay the regular fees required by law for license tags or plates for private passenger or pleasure motor vehicles, and pay an additional annual fee of fifty dollars ($50). The Department of Revenue shall coordinate with the Commander of the Alabama State Defense Force for the issuance of the numbers on the tags or plates.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-6-480
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- owner: A person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a vehicle. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Probate: Proving a will
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
(b) The tags or plates shall be issued, printed, and processed like other distinctive and personalized tags and plates provided for in this chapter. The tags or plates shall be valid for five years and may be replaced with either a conventional, personalized, or new Alabama State Defense Force tags or plates. Payment of required license fees and taxes for the years during which a new tag or plate is not issued shall be evidenced as provided in Section 32-6-63.