(a) All law enforcement officers employed by any county of this state who are employed as a full-time law enforcement officer shall make at least $1,300.00 per month starting salary.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 36-21-10
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.
(b) The provisions of this section may be enforced in any court of competent jurisdiction in this state by an action brought by any citizen seeking a writ of mandamus, mandatory injunction, or other proper remedy, and the court trying the cause may order the suspension or forfeiture of the salary, expenses, or other compensation of the members of the governing body failing or refusing to comply with the provisions of this section.
(c) Members of the governing body or sheriff of any county are hereby expressly prohibited from requiring law enforcement officers affected by this section to work any more hours than they were normally working in order to circumvent the provisions of this section.
(d) If for any reason any part of this section or its application to any person, body, or situation is held invalid, the remainder of this section and its application to any other person, body, or situation shall not be affected.
(e) The term “law enforcement officer” means any person whose duties involve police work and who are designated law enforcement officers by the Alabama Peace Officers’ Minimum Standards Act.