The commission shall have the following functions and duties together with all powers necessary or convenient for the performance thereof:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 36-21-45
- commission: The Alabama Peace Officers' Standards and Training Commission established by Section 36-21-41. See Alabama Code 36-21-40
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER: A policeman, deputy sheriff, deputy constable and other official who has authority as such official to make arrests. See Alabama Code 36-21-40
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- state: The State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 36-21-40
(1) To study, obtain data, statistics, and information, and to make reports concerning the recruitment, selection, and training of law enforcement officers in the state and to make improvements in methods of recruitment, selection, and training of law enforcement officers.
(2) To review from time to time the standards described in Section 36-21-46 for applicants for and appointees as law enforcement officers.
(3) To consider, hold public hearings on, adopt and promulgate standards relating to the physical, mental, and moral fitness of any applicant for or appointee as a law enforcement officer as do not lower the standards in Section 36-21-46 or as otherwise permitted by Section 36-21-46.
(4) To study, consider, and make reports from time to time concerning the work and the curriculum and courses offered by law enforcement training schools in the state and to make recommendations for improving the schools, curriculum, and courses.
(5) To encourage the establishment of law enforcement training schools and courses on law enforcement in existing institutions of learning.
(6) To gather statistics and data relative to standards and training and make the same available to governmental entities upon request.
(7) To revoke its approval or certification of any person appointed or certified pursuant to this article for failure to meet the continuing training or education requirements set forth in the rules of the commission or for failure to meet the requirements of Section 36-21-46.
(8) To make investigation to determine whether the requirements of this article and the rules, regulations, and standards of the commission issued pursuant to this article are being observed and followed.
(9) To enforce this article and the rules, regulations, and standards issued by the commission with appropriate civil and criminal actions by the Attorney General, district attorneys, or other appropriate officials.
(10) To enter into cooperative agreements with federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies for effective training.
(11) To obtain the services and advice of experts in the field of law enforcement for the purpose of aiding the commission in its studies, consideration, reports, and recommendations, and in the adoption of standards, rules, and regulations.