(a) In all juvenile cases, traffic, criminal, and quasi-criminal cases in the juvenile, district, circuit, and municipal courts in Coffee County, a docket fee, hereinafter referred to as a solicitor’s fee, shall be assessed in each case. The fee, when collected, shall be distributed monthly to the Solicitor’s Fund or District Attorney’s Fund in the county or to the fund that may be hereafter prescribed by law for the solicitor’s fee. The solicitor’s fee shall be in an amount equal to all docket fees or court costs which are assessed upon an adjudication of guilt in a criminal case and distributed to the Fair Trial Tax Fund.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 45-16-81.03
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- circuit: means judicial circuit. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
(b) The solicitor’s fee shall be collected in all criminal cases where the defendant is adjudged guilty, a bond forfeited, a penalty imposed, or where there is issued any alias or capias warrant of arrest. The solicitor’s fee shall be in addition to and not in lieu of any other fees or costs. The solicitor’s fee shall not be waived or remitted unless the defendant proves to the reasonable satisfaction of the sentencing judge that the defendant is not capable of paying the fee within the reasonably foreseeable future.
(c) The solicitor’s fee may be expended, at the discretion of the district attorney, for the payment of any and all expenses incurred by the district attorney for law enforcement and in the discharge of the duties of the office in the county in which it was collected. In addition, the district attorney may contract for and expend moneys out of the fund to pay the costs of transporting to and from the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences bodies which have been ordered for autopsy by the district attorney.