To prevent motor vehicles from escaping taxation and to provide for a more efficient procedure for assessment and collection of taxes due on same, no licenses shall be issued to operate motor vehicles on the public highways of this state, nor shall any transfer be made by the county license commissioner until the ad valorem tax on such vehicles shall have been paid to the county for the preceding year as evidenced by receipt from the commissioner. Every person, firm, or corporation driving or owning a motor vehicle who desires to operate a motor vehicle on the public highways of Alabama, shall first return such motor vehicle for ad valorem taxation to the commissioner who shall issue a certificate of assessment on a form prescribed by the State Department of Revenue, shall collect the taxes shown thereon, and shall make a duplicate of the tax receipt and keep same on file in his or her office. The license tag shall be evidence of the payment of the license and ad valorem tax due as provided under this part.
(Act 84-804, p. 221, § 10.)
Terms Used In Alabama Code 45-42-200.09
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608