|Article 1||General Provisions||32-8-1 – 32-8-14|
|Article 2||Certificate of Title||32-8-30 – 32-8-49|
|Article 3||Security Interests||32-8-60 – 32-8-68|
|Article 4||Antitheft Laws||32-8-80 – 32-8-88|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 32 > Chapter 8
- Account: means any deposit or credit account with a bank, including a demand, time, savings, passbook, share draft, or like account, other than an account evidenced by a certificate of deposit;
(2) "Afternoon" means the period of a day between noon and midnight;
(3) "Banking day" means the part of a day on which a bank is open to the public for carrying on substantially all of its banking functions;
(4) "Clearing house" means an association of banks or other payors regularly clearing items;
(5) "Customer" means a person having an account with a bank or for whom a bank has agreed to collect items, including a bank that maintains an account at another bank;
(6) "Documentary draft" means a draft to be presented for acceptance or payment if specified documents, certificated securities (Section 7-8-102) or instructions for uncertificated securities (Section 7-8-308), or other certificates, statements, or the like are to be received by the drawee or other payor before acceptance or payment of the draft;
(7) "Draft" means a draft as defined in Section 7-3-104 or an item, other than an instrument, that is an order;
(8) "Drawee" means a person ordered in a draft to make payment;
(9) "Item" means an instrument or a promise or order to pay money handled by a bank for collection or payment. See Alabama Code 7-4-104
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Articles of incorporation: include amended and restated articles of incorporation and, in the case of a corporation existing on January 1, 1981, its certificate of incorporation, including any amended certificate, and also include, except where the context otherwise requires, articles of merger. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Authorized shares: means the shares of all classes a domestic or foreign business corporation is authorized to issue. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- bus: Every motor vehicle designed for carrying more than 10 passengers and used for the transportation of persons; and every motor vehicle other than a taxicab, designed and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- CAPACITY TO PROCEED OR CONTINUE TO TRIAL: Whether or not a defendant accused of a crime:
a. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the Alabama State Department of Mental Health. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the Department of Mental Health of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation as defined in Chapter 2 or Chapter 2A, as applicable, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND INFORMATION: Any information collected and stored in the criminal record repository of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) reflecting the result of an arrest, detention, or initiation of a criminal proceeding by criminal justice agencies, including, but not limited to, arrest record information, fingerprint cards, correctional induction and release information, identifiable descriptions, and notations of arrests, detention, indictments, or other formal charges. See Alabama Code 22-50-90
- dealer: Every person engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging vehicles who has an established place of business for such purpose in this state and to whom current dealer registration plates have been issued by the Department of Revenue. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- department: The Alabama State Department of Mental Health. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- DESIGNATED MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY: A mental health facility other than a state mental health facility designated by the State Department of Mental Health to receive persons for evaluation, examination, admission, detention or treatment pursuant to the provisions of this article. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- DIRECT CARE PROVIDER: A psychiatrist, medical doctor, psychologist, social worker, community service specialist, therapist, nurse, mental health worker, foster care provider, police officer, and any other employee or person who has direct contact with the clients and patients served by the Alabama Department of Mental Health pursuant to a contract with the department. See Alabama Code 22-50-90
- director: The Secretary of the Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- driver: Every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- ESTABLISHED PLACE OF BUSINESS: The place actually occupied either continuously or at regular periods by a dealer or manufacturer where his or her books and records are kept and a large share of his or her business is transacted. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- facility: Any state-owned or state-operated hospital or other facility, whether currently operating or to be operated in the future, utilized for the diagnosis, care, treatment, training or hospitalization of persons who are mentally ill or who are believed to be mentally ill and any other appropriate facility within the State of Alabama approved for such purpose by the Department of Mental Health, excluding those general hospitals owned by a state educational institution which is a public corporation organized under the acts of the Legislature of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- GROSS WEIGHT: The weight of a vehicle without load plus the weight of any load thereon. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- highway: The entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- IMPLEMENT OF HUSBANDRY: Every vehicle designed and adapted exclusively for agricultural, horticultural, or livestock raising operations or for lifting or carrying an implement of husbandry and in either case not subject to registration if used upon the highways. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- INPATIENT TREATMENT: Treatment being provided to a person at a state mental health facility or a designated mental health facility which has been specifically designated by the department for inpatient treatment. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- INVOLUNTARY COMMITMENT: Court ordered mental health services in either an outpatient or inpatient setting. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- mail: To deposit in the United States mail properly addressed and with postage prepaid. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- MENTAL ILLNESS: A psychiatric disorder of thought and/or mood which significantly impairs judgment, behavior, capacity to recognize reality, or ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE: Every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not more than five brake horsepower nor exceeds 150 cubic centimeter engine displacement, and weighs less than 200 pounds fully equipped, and every bicycle with a motor attached. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- motorcycle: Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- nonresident: Every person who is not a resident of this state. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- OUTPATIENT TREATMENT: Treatment being provided to a person in a nonresidential setting and who is not admitted for 24-hour-a-day care. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- owner: A person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a vehicle. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- PASSENGER CAR: Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, designed for carrying 10 passengers or less and used for the transportation of persons. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- POLE TRAILER: Every vehicle without motive power designed to be drawn by another vehicle and attached to the towing vehicle by means of a reach or pole, or by being boomed or otherwise secured to the towing vehicle, and ordinarily used for transporting long or irregularly shaped loads such as poles, pipes, or structural members capable, generally, of sustaining themselves as beams between the supporting connections. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- respondent: A person for which a petition for commitment to mental health services has been filed. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- SECURITY AGREEMENT: A written agreement which reserves or creates a security interest. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- SECURITY INTEREST: An interest in a vehicle reserved or created by agreement and which secures payment or performance of an obligation. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- semitrailer: Every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that some part of its weight and that of its load rests upon or is carried by another vehicle. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- Shares: means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40
- SPECIAL MOBILE EQUIPMENT: Every vehicle not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property and only incidentally operated or moved over a highway, including, but not limited to: Ditch digging apparatus, well boring apparatus, and road construction and maintenance machinery such as asphalt spreaders, bituminous mixers, bucket loaders, tractors other than truck tractors, ditchers, levelling graders, finishing machines, motor graders, road rollers, scarifiers, earth moving carry-alls and scrapers, power shovels and drag lines, and self-propelled cranes, and earth moving equipment. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- STATE MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY: A mental health facility operated by the Alabama State Department of Mental Health. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- superintendent: The superintendent or director of Bryce Hospital located in Tuscaloosa County, the superintendent or director of Searcy Hospital located in Mobile County or the superintendent or director of any such facility as defined in subdivision (4) of this section. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- trailer: Every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- truck: Every motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- TRUCK TRACTOR: Every motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and not so constructed as to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load so drawn. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Voting group: means all shares of one or more classes or series that under the articles of incorporation or this chapter are entitled to vote and be counted together collectively on a matter at a meeting of shareholders. See Alabama Code 10A-2-1.40