|Article 4||Veterinary Practice||34-29-60 – 34-29-94|
|Article 5||Impaired Veterinary Professionals||34-29-110 – 34-29-111|
|Article 6||Euthanasia in Animals||34-29-130 – 34-29-135|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 34 > Chapter 29
- adult: An individual 19 years of age or older. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- board: The Board of Boilers and Pressure Vessels. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- boiler: shall include fired units for heating or vaporizing liquids other than water where these units are separate from processing systems and are complete within themselves. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- CERTIFICATE OF INSPECTION: An inspection, the report of which is used by the chief inspector to determine whether or not a certificate as provided by subsection (c) of Section 25-12-15 may be issued. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- child: An individual under the age of 18 years, or under 21 years of age and before the juvenile court for a delinquency matter arising before that individual's 18th birthday. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- CHILD IN NEED OF SUPERVISION: A child who has been adjudicated by a juvenile court for doing any of the following and who is in need of care, rehabilitation, or supervision:
a. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- CONVERTED ENTITY: An entity resulting from a conversion. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- CONVERTING ENTITY: An entity as the entity existed before the entity's conversion. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Cross examine: Questioning of a witness by the attorney for the other side.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- DELINQUENT ACT: An act committed by a child that is designated a violation, misdemeanor, or felony offense pursuant to the law of the municipality, county, or state in which the act was committed or pursuant to federal law. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- DELINQUENT CHILD: A child who has been adjudicated for a delinquent act and is in need of care or rehabilitation. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- department: The Department of Labor. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- detention: The temporary placement of children alleged or adjudicated to be delinquent in secure custody as defined herein pending juvenile court disposition or transfer to a residential facility for further care of a child adjudicated delinquent. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- DOMESTIC ENTITY: An organization formed and existing under this title. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- elevator: An installation as defined as an elevator in ASME A17. See Alabama Code 45-37-60.10
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- FILING ENTITY: A domestic entity that is a corporation, limited partnership, including a limited liability partnership, limited liability company, professional association, employee cooperative corporation, or real estate investment trust. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- GUARDIAN AD LITEM: A licensed attorney appointed by a juvenile court to protect the best interests of an individual without being bound by the expressed wishes of that individual. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Hearsay: Statements by a witness who did not see or hear the incident in question but heard about it from someone else. Hearsay is usually not admissible as evidence in court.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- JUVENILE COURT: The juvenile or family court division of the circuit or district court having jurisdiction over matters as provided by this chapter. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER: Any person, however denominated, who is authorized by law to exercise the police powers of the state, a county, or local governments. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff.
- LEGAL CUSTODIAN: A parent, person, agency, or department to whom legal custody of a child under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court pursuant to this chapter has been awarded by order of the juvenile court or other court of competent jurisdiction. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- LEGAL CUSTODY: A legal status created by order of the juvenile court which vests in a legal custodian the right to have physical custody of a child under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court pursuant to this chapter and the right and duty to protect, train, and discipline the child and to provide the child with food, shelter, clothing, education, and medical care, all subject to the powers, rights, duties, and responsibilities of the legal guardian of the person of the child and subject to any residual parental rights and responsibilities. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- LEGAL GUARDIAN: A person who has been appointed by a probate court pursuant to the Alabama Uniform Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Act, Chapter 2A (commencing with Section 26-2A-1) of Title 26 to be a guardian of a person under 19 years of age who has not otherwise had the disabilities of minority removed. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- merger: The combination of one or more domestic entities with one or more domestic entities or non-code organizations resulting in:
(A) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations;
(B) the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations, or one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations; or
(C) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations and the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- minor: An individual who is under the age of 19 years and who is not a child within the meaning of this chapter. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- organizer: A person, who need not be an owner or member of the entity, who, having the capacity to contract, is authorized to execute documents in connection with the formation of the entity. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- parent: The legal mother or the legal father of a child under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court pursuant to this chapter. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- partner: A limited partner or general partner. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- PICK-UP ORDER: In any case before the juvenile court, an order directing any law enforcement officer or other person authorized by this chapter to take a child into custody and to deliver the child to a place of detention, shelter, or other care designated by the juvenile court. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- PRESSURE VESSEL: A vessel other than those vessels defined in subdivision (2) in which the pressure is obtained from an external source or by the application of heat. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- Probate: Proving a will
- probation: The legal status created by order of the juvenile court following an adjudication of delinquency or in need of supervision whereby a child is permitted to remain in a community subject to supervision and return to the juvenile court for violation of probation at any time during the period of probation. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- secretary: The Secretary of Labor. See Alabama Code 45-37-40.05
- SECURE CUSTODY: As used with regard to juvenile detention facilities and the Department of Youth Services, this term means residential facilities with construction features designed to physically restrict the movements and activities of persons in custody such as locked rooms and buildings, including rooms and buildings that contain alarm devices that prevent departure; fences; or other physical structures. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- SHELTER CARE: The temporary care of children in group homes, foster care, relative placement, or other nonpenal facilities. See Alabama Code 45-36-248
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.