|Division 1||General Provisions||41-4-110 – 41-4-116|
|Division 2||Public Printing and Binding||41-4-130 – 41-4-161|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 41 > Chapter 4 > Article 5
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- associate: When used to indicate a relationship with:
(A) a domestic or foreign entity or organization for which the person is:
(i) an officer or governing person; or
(ii) a beneficial owner of 10 percent or more of a class of voting ownership interests or similar securities of the entity or organization;
(B) a trust or estate in which the person has a substantial beneficial interest or for which the person serves as trustee or in a similar fiduciary capacity;
(C) the person's spouse or a relative of the person related by consanguinity or affinity within the fifth degree who resides with the person; or
(D) a governing person or an affiliate or officer of the person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- association: Includes, but is not limited to, an unincorporated nonprofit association as defined in Chapter 17 and an unincorporated professional association as defined in Article 1 of Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- board: The Board of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.35
- borrower: A county or incorporated municipality, as the case may be, exercising the powers conferred by this article. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.03
- circuit: means judicial circuit. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- COMBINED SYSTEM: A consolidated system resulting from the combination of any two or more of the following: a waterworks system, a sanitary system, a gas system and an electric system. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.03
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 32-6-15
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.35
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the Department of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.65
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation as defined in Chapter 2, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- court: Every court and judge having jurisdiction in a case. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- customer: Any person who causes a molder to make a form or to use a form to make a product. See Alabama Code 41-4-154
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- dealer: Any person engaged in the business of buying livestock in the State of Alabama for resale, exchange or slaughter and meat packing purposes, either on his or her own account or as agent for others on a commission basis or otherwise. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.35
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- department: The Department of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.65
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- ELECTRIC SYSTEM: Facilities for the generation, manufacture and distribution, or any thereof, of electricity, together with all appurtenances to such facilities. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.03
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- form: An object in or around which material is placed to make a mold for pouring plastic or casting metal, and includes a mold, die or pattern. See Alabama Code 41-4-154
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- GAS SYSTEM: Facilities for the manufacture, conditioning, transmission and distribution, or any thereof, of manufactured or natural gas, together with all appurtenances to such facilities. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.03
- GOVERNING BODY: In the case of a county, the county commission exercising the legislative functions of the county and, in the case of a municipality, the board of commissioners, the mayor and council or other similar body exercising the legislative functions of the municipality. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.03
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- IMPROPER MEANS: "Improper means" are means such as:
a. See Alabama Code 41-4-149
- individual: A natural person and the estate of an incompetent or deceased natural person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- JUDGE OF PROBATE: The judge of probate of the county in which a domestic entity's certificate of formation is filed, or, with respect to a statement of authority under Chapter 8A, which is to be filed in the real property records of a particular county, the judge of probate of the county in which that statement is filed. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- license: A license, certificate of registration, or other legal authorization. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- livestock: Cattle, swine, sheep, goats, equidae, ratites, poultry, and catfish. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.35
- livestock: Any animal maintained in captivity for any reason. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.65
- LIVESTOCK MARKET: A place, concentration, or collection point or other public or private place where a person assembles livestock for either public or private sale by himself or herself and the service or the cost or expense thereof is compensated by the owner of the livestock on a commission basis or otherwise. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.35
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- molder: Any person who makes a form or who uses a form to make a product. See Alabama Code 41-4-154
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- oath: includes affirmation. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: An individual, including the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual, or an organization, whether created by the laws of this state or another state or foreign country, including, without limitation, a general partnership, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, limited liability limited partnership, limited liability company, corporation, professional corporation, professional association, trustee, personal representative, fiduciary, as defined in Section 19-3-150 or person performing in any similar capacity, business trust, estate, trust, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- person: is a natural person, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision or agency, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 41-4-149
- person: An individual, a partnership, a corporation or two or more individuals having a joint or common interest. See Alabama Code 32-6-15
- person: Any individual, partnership, corporation, association or other business unit. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.35
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Probate: Proving a will
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- SANITARY SEWER SYSTEM: Facilities for the collection, transmission, treatment and disposal of sewage, together with all appurtenances to any such facilities. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.03
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- TRADE SECRET: A "trade secret" is information that:
a. See Alabama Code 41-4-149
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- WATERWORKS SYSTEM: Facilities for the gathering, collecting, impounding, treatment, transmission and distribution, or any of them, of water for domestic use or for industrial use or both, together with all appurtenances to any such facilities. See Alabama Code 45-43-246.03
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608