|§ 45-41-170||Legislative findings|
|§ 45-41-170.01||Public nuisance – Premises|
|§ 45-41-170.02||Public nuisance – Motor vehicles|
|§ 45-41-170.03||Licensing and operation of junkyards|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 45 > Chapter 41 > Article 17 > Part 1
- circuit: means judicial circuit. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- firearm: A weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder. See Alabama Code 45-41-170
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- obtains: Such term means:
a. See Alabama Code 45-41-170
- owner: A person, other than the defendant, who has possession of or any other interest in the property involved, even though that interest or possession is unlawful, and without whose consent the defendant has no authority to exert control over the property. See Alabama Code 45-41-170
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: Any money, tangible or intangible personal property, property (whether real or personal) the location of which can be changed (including things growing on, affixed to, or found in land and documents, although the rights represented hereby have no physical location), contract right, chose-in-action, interest in a claim to wealth, credit, or any other article or thing of value of any kind. See Alabama Code 45-41-170
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- stolen: Obtained by theft, theft by appropriating lost property, robbery, or extortion. See Alabama Code 45-41-170
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- value: The market value of the property at the time and place of the criminal act. See Alabama Code 45-41-170