|§ 6-5-750||Short title|
|§ 6-5-751||Legislative findings and objectives|
|§ 6-5-753||Commencement of action|
|§ 6-5-754||Choice of forum|
|§ 6-5-755||Recovery; contribution|
|§ 6-5-756||Application of article|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 6 > Chapter 5 > Article 38
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- article: When referring to food or drugs, such term is used in the broad and comprehensive sense and has reference to the food product or the drug product in question. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- Articles of incorporation: include amended and restated articles of incorporation and, in the case of a corporation existing on January 1, 1981, its certificate of incorporation, including any amended certificate, and also include, except where the context otherwise requires, articles of merger. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- association: Includes, but is not limited to, an unincorporated nonprofit association as defined in Chapter 17 and an unincorporated professional association as defined in Article 1 of Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- board: The State Board of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- CERTIFICATE OF DISSOLUTION: Any document such as a certificate of dissolution, statement of dissolution, or articles of dissolution, required or permitted to be filed publicly with respect to an entity's dissolution and winding up of its business, activity, activities, not for profit activity, or affairs. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- CLASS A FOODS: Baby food, infant formula, and potentially hazardous food. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- court: Every court and judge having jurisdiction in a case. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- day: When used in the computation of time excludes the first day and includes the last day of the period so computed, unless the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, in which event the period runs until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, a Sunday, or a legal holiday. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Distribution: means a direct or indirect transfer of money or other property, except its own shares, or incurrence of indebtedness by a corporation to or for the benefit of any one or more of its shareholders in respect of any of its shares. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- domestic: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and exists under this title. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- drug: All medicines and preparations recognized in the United States pharmacopoeia or national formulary for internal or external use and any substance or mixture of substances to be used for the cure, mitigation, or prevention of disease in man or domestic animals. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Entity: includes corporation and foreign corporation; nonprofit corporation; for profit and nonprofit association; business trust; estate; partnership; limited liability company; trust; and two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest; and state, United States, and foreign government. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- food: All articles of food, drink, confectionery, or condiment, whether simple, mixed, or compound, used or intended for use by man or domestic animals. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- foreign: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and existing under the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Foreign corporation: means a business corporation incorporated under a law other than the law of this state. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- foreign corporation: as used in this division , shall mean:
(1) Any bank or other corporation now or hereafter organized or existing under the laws of any state of the United States other than the State of Alabama; and
(2) Any national banking association or other corporation organized under the laws of the United States having its principal place of business in any state of the United States other than Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-31-80
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- insolvent: A person who is unable to pay the person's debts as they become due in the usual course of business or affairs. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Inter vivos: Transfer of property from one living person to another living person.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- JUDGE OF PROBATE: The judge of probate of the county in which a domestic entity's certificate of formation is filed, or, with respect to a statement of authority under Chapter 8A, which is to be filed in the real property records of a particular county, the judge of probate of the county in which that statement is filed. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- merger: The combination of one or more domestic entities with one or more domestic entities or non-code organizations resulting in:
(A) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations;
(B) the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations, or one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations; or
(C) one or more surviving domestic entities or non-code organizations and the creation of one or more new domestic entities or non-code organizations. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- misbranded: Such term shall apply to all drugs or foods or articles which enter into the composition of food, the package or label of which shall bear or contain any statement, design, or device regarding such article or the ingredients or substances contained therein which shall be false or misleading in any particular and to any food or drug product which is falsely branded as to the state, territory, or country in which it is manufactured or produced. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- OUT-OF-DATE: Any article with a label containing an open-date statement with a date affixed thereto which has passed. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Secretary: means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under Section 10A-2-8. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- SECRETARY OF STATE: The Secretary of State of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- Shares: means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- STANDARD OF PURITY OR QUALITY: The standards of purity for food products promulgated by the State Board of Agriculture and Industries and by statutes of this state. See Alabama Code 20-1-20
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- trustee: A person who serves as a trustee of a trust, including a real estate investment trust. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.