Any insurer may, or any common carrier acting as an insurer for losses to persons shipping alcoholic beverages may, after permission has been granted by the department, take possession of and sell any alcoholic beverages the containers of which have been damaged by fire or otherwise to licensees who are authorized to sell the alcoholic beverages. Any licensee so qualified may purchase and accept delivery of the alcoholic beverages from the insurer or common carrier so authorized to sell. This permission extends only to alcoholic beverages owned by a licensee and insured against loss or damage by the insurer or common carrier applying for the permission. Alcoholic beverages so sold shall be labeled or otherwise identified, prior to and at the time of sale, as distress merchandise, salvaged from fire, wreck, or similar catastrophe, and such label or other identification shall be affixed over the regular label of the merchandise, and shall provide thereon that it was not affixed by the manufacturer.

(Amended by Stats. 1959, Ch. 819.)

Terms Used In California Business and Professions Code 23104

  • Licensee: means any person authorized by a license, certificate, registration, or other means to engage in a business or profession regulated by this code or referred to in Sections 1000 and 3600. See California Business and Professions Code 23.8