(a) Subject to the provisions of subsection (c) of § 14-41, any person who renews a motor vehicle operator‘s license which contains one or more passenger endorsements shall be charged an additional fee of twelve dollars for each year or part thereof for each passenger endorsement.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 14-50
- Commissioner: includes the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and any assistant to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles who is designated and authorized by, and who is acting for, the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles under a designation. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Motor vehicle: means any vehicle propelled or drawn by any nonmuscular power, except aircraft, motor boats, road rollers, baggage trucks used about railroad stations or other mass transit facilities, electric battery-operated wheel chairs when operated by persons with physical disabilities at speeds not exceeding fifteen miles per hour, golf carts operated on highways solely for the purpose of crossing from one part of the golf course to another, golf-cart-type vehicles operated on roads or highways on the grounds of state institutions by state employees, agricultural tractors, farm implements, such vehicles as run only on rails or tracks, self-propelled snow plows, snow blowers and lawn mowers, when used for the purposes for which they were designed and operated at speeds not exceeding four miles per hour, whether or not the operator rides on or walks behind such equipment, motor-driven cycles, as defined in §. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Operator: means any person who operates a motor vehicle or who steers or directs the course of a motor vehicle being towed by another motor vehicle and includes a driver. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, limited liability company, association, copartnership, company, firm, business trust or other aggregation of individuals but does not include the state or any political subdivision thereof, unless the context clearly states or requires. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Registration: includes the certificate of motor vehicle registration and the number plate or plates used in connection with such registration. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- State: means any state of the United States and the District of Columbia unless the context indicates a more specific reference to the state of Connecticut. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- United States: means the fifty states and the District of Columbia. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Vehicle: includes any device suitable for the conveyance, drawing or other transportation of persons or property, whether operated on wheels, runners, a cushion of air or by any other means. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
(b) There shall be charged for each examination of an operator of a motor vehicle a fee of forty dollars which shall be paid in such time and manner as the commissioner shall direct. The fee shall cover all parts of the examination. If the applicant fails the examination, or any part thereof, the applicant shall be charged an additional fee of forty dollars to retake the examination, or retake the part that was failed.
(c) The commissioner shall waive any operator’s license or registration fee, including any renewal fee, in the case of any person in the active service of the armed forces of the United States who was a legal resident of Connecticut at the time of his or her induction; and for one licensing period to any person (1) honorably separated from such service, or (2) with a qualifying condition, as defined in § 27-103, who has separated from such service other than with a bad conduct characterization or dishonorably, which person applies for such operator’s license or registration within two years following the date of separation and was a legal resident of Connecticut at the time of his or her induction. The commissioner may adopt regulations, in accordance with chapter 54, to implement the provisions of this subsection.
(d) The commissioner may adopt procedures for issuing licenses on an expedited basis and may charge a fee of not more than seventy-five dollars for such expedited service.
(e) The commissioner may assess a fee to cover the cost of the collection of number plates, motor vehicle registration certificates or operators’ licenses, upon the holders thereof; and such number plates, motor vehicle registration certificates or operators’ licenses shall not be returned to the holder thereof or reissued until such fee is paid.
(f) Whenever any check issued to the commissioner in payment of any fee is returned as uncollectible or a payment of any fee by means of a credit or debit card is rejected or dishonored, the commissioner shall charge the drawer of such check or the person presenting such check to him, or the holder of the credit or debit card or the person presenting such credit or debit card to the commissioner, a fee of thirty-five dollars for each such fee that is due in an amount of not more than two hundred dollars, and a fee of fifteen per cent of the full amount of each such fee that is due in an amount in excess of two hundred dollars, plus all protest fees or charges, to cover the cost of collection.
(g) All fees provided for in this chapter shall be construed to be license fees imposed for the administration of this chapter and as compensation for the privilege of using the highways of this state, and to reimburse the state in whole or in part for injury done to the highways by the operation of motor vehicles.