No person shall, during the period from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, operate upon any highway any vehicle except fire apparatus, the load of which extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the body of such vehicle unless there is attached to the rear end of such load a red flag or cloth not less than twelve inches square so hung that the entire area is visible to the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear, or, during the period of one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of five hundred feet ahead, operate upon any highway any vehicle carrying a load which extends beyond the stationary floor of the body of such vehicle, unless a red light is attached to the rear end of such load, which light shall be plainly visible to the sides and rear for a distance of not less than five hundred feet. No motor vehicle with a commercial registration shall be permitted to remain stationary or be operated upon any highway when an animal not confined is carried or projects laterally outside of the body of such vehicle, or when any load or load-supporting device projects laterally beyond the edge of the body thereof. Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 14-96k
- Driver: means any person who drives, operates or is in physical control of a commercial motor vehicle, or who is required to hold a commercial driver's license. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Highway: includes any state or other public highway, road, street, avenue, alley, driveway, parkway, place or dedicated roadway for bus rapid transit service, under the control of the state or any political subdivision of the state, dedicated, appropriated or opened to public travel or other use. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Motor vehicle: means any vehicle propelled or drawn by any nonmuscular power, except aircraft, motor boats, road rollers, baggage trucks used about railroad stations or other mass transit facilities, electric battery-operated wheel chairs when operated by persons with physical disabilities at speeds not exceeding fifteen miles per hour, golf carts operated on highways solely for the purpose of crossing from one part of the golf course to another, golf-cart-type vehicles operated on roads or highways on the grounds of state institutions by state employees, agricultural tractors, farm implements, such vehicles as run only on rails or tracks, self-propelled snow plows, snow blowers and lawn mowers, when used for the purposes for which they were designed and operated at speeds not exceeding four miles per hour, whether or not the operator rides on or walks behind such equipment, motor-driven cycles, as defined in §. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, limited liability company, association, copartnership, company, firm, business trust or other aggregation of individuals but does not include the state or any political subdivision thereof, unless the context clearly states or requires. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Registration: includes the certificate of motor vehicle registration and the number plate or plates used in connection with such registration. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1
- Vehicle: includes any device suitable for the conveyance, drawing or other transportation of persons or property, whether operated on wheels, runners, a cushion of air or by any other means. See Connecticut General Statutes 14-1