(a) The board or Commissioner of Consumer Protection may issue an automatic fire sprinkler system layout technician‘s license to any person who has received level III certification from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies in the field of fire protection engineering technology or a subfield of automatic sprinkler system layout. Any person who is a professional engineer licensed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter shall be exempt from such licensing requirement.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 20-304a
- Automatic fire sprinkler system layout: means preparing and designing shop drawings to be used for the installation, alteration or modification of an automatic fire sprinkler system. See Connecticut General Statutes 20-299
- Automatic fire sprinkler system layout technician: means a person, licensed by the Department of Consumer Protection pursuant to this chapter, to design automatic fire sprinkler system layouts. See Connecticut General Statutes 20-299
- Board: means the State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors appointed under the provisions of §. See Connecticut General Statutes 20-299
- National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies: means a nationally recognized organization which determines the qualifications of automatic fire sprinkler system layout technicians through a series of standardized examinations. See Connecticut General Statutes 20-299
- Professional engineer: means a person who is qualified by reason of his knowledge of mathematics, the physical sciences and the principles of engineering, acquired by professional education and practical experience, to engage in engineering practice, including rendering or offering to render to clients any professional service such as consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, design or responsible supervision of construction, in connection with any public or privately-owned structures, buildings, machines, equipment, processes, works or projects in which the public welfare or the safeguarding of life, public health or property is concerned or involved. See Connecticut General Statutes 20-299
(b) The Commissioner of Consumer Protection shall adopt regulations, in accordance with chapter 54, for the issuance of automatic fire sprinkler system layout technician’s licenses and to prescribe the amount of the fees required pursuant to this section. Upon the adoption of such regulations, the fees required for such licenses shall be as prescribed in such regulation.