Terms Used In Florida Statutes 197.402
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- taxpayer: includes the taxpayer's family or any entity in which the taxpayer or taxpayer's family has any interest. See Florida Statutes 288.991
(1) If advertisements are required, the board of county commissioners shall select the newspaper as provided in chapter 50. The tax collector shall pay all newspaper charges, and the proportionate cost of the advertisements shall be added to the delinquent taxes collected.
(2) Within 45 days after the personal property taxes become delinquent, the tax collector shall advertise a list of the names of delinquent personal property taxpayers and the amount of tax due by each. The advertisement shall include a notice that all personal property taxes are drawing interest at the rate of 18 percent per year and that, unless the delinquent taxes are paid, warrants will be issued thereon pursuant to s. 197.413 and the tax collector will apply to the circuit court for an order directing levy upon and seizure of the personal property of the taxpayer for the unpaid taxes.
(3) Except as provided in s. 197.432(4), on or before June 1 or the 60th day after the date of delinquency, whichever is later, the tax collector shall advertise once each week for 3 weeks and shall sell tax certificates on all real property having delinquent taxes. If the deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, it is extended to the next working day. The tax collector shall make a list of such properties in the same order in which the property was assessed, specifying the amount due on each parcel, including interest at the rate of 18 percent per year from the date of delinquency to the date of sale; the cost of advertising; and the expense of sale. For sales that commence on or after June 1, all certificates shall be issued effective as of the date of the first day of the sale, and the interest to be paid to the certificateholder shall include the month of June.
(4) All advertisements shall be in the form prescribed by the department.