Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1201
- Carrier: means any motor carrier or rail carrier other than a private carrier. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Commission: means the Illinois Commerce Commission. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- For-hire: means for compensation or hire, regardless of the form of compensation and whether compensation is direct or indirect. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Intrastate commerce: means commerce moving wholly between points within the State of Illinois, whether such commerce moves wholly by one transportation mode or partly by one mode and partly by any other mode of transportation. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Rail carrier: means any person engaged in the transportation of property or passengers for hire by railroad, together with all employees or agents of such person or entity, and all property used, controlled, or owned by such person or entity. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- State: when applied to different parts of the United States, may be construed to include the District of Columbia and the several territories, and the words "United States" may be construed to include the said district and territories. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.14
- Transportation: means the actual movement of property or passengers by motor vehicle (without regard to ownership of vehicles or equipment used in providing transportation service) or rail together with loading, unloading, and any other accessorial or ancillary service provided by the carrier in connection with movement by motor vehicle or rail, which is performed by or on behalf of the carriers, its employees or agents, or under the authority or direction of the carrier or under the apparent authority or direction and with the knowledge of the carrier. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
The jurisdiction of the Commission under this Chapter shall extend to for-hire transportation by motor carrier and rail carrier, the activities of brokers, and to other activities specifically enumerated herein, within the State of Illinois, and except as otherwise provided elsewhere in this Chapter shall extend only to intrastate commerce.