Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 1 > Article 1 > Chapter 4
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Clerk: means the clerk of the court or a person authorized to perform the clerk's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Codicil: An addition, change, or supplement to a will executed with the same formalities required for the will itself.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- district: refers to a district described in IC 2-1-10 or IC 2-1-11. See Indiana Code 2-1-9-2
- GIS: refers to the geographic information system maintained by the office that contains the following information:
Indiana Code 2-1-9-3
- Hoosier veteran: means an individual who meets the following criteria:
Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Mentally incompetent: means of unsound mind. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- office: refers to the office of census data of the legislative services agency. See Indiana Code 2-1-9-5
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Population: has the meaning set forth in IC 1-1-3. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- senate district: refers to a district of the senate of the general assembly described in IC 2-1-13. See Indiana Code 2-1-9-6
- Sheriff: means the sheriff of the county or another person authorized to perform sheriff's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- veteran: includes "Hoosier veteran" and applies to the construction of all Indiana statutes, unless the construction is expressly excluded by the terms of the statute, is plainly repugnant to the intent of the general assembly or of the context of the statute, or is inconsistent with federal law. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5