Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 65 > Article 51
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Attendant care services: means basic and ancillary services provided under home and community based services waiver programs;
(b) "council" means the home health services advisory council created by this act;
(c) "home health agency" means a public or private agency or organization or a subdivision or subunit of such agency or organization that provides for a fee one or more home health services, supportive care services or attendant care services provided under home and community based services waiver programs at the residence of a patient but does not include local health departments which are not federally certified home health agencies, durable medical equipment companies which provide home health services by use of specialized equipment, independent living agencies, the Kansas department for aging and disability services and the department of health and environment;
(d) "home health services" means any of the following services provided at the current residence of the patient on a full-time, part-time or intermittent basis: Nursing, physical therapy, speech therapy, nutritional or dietetic consulting, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, home health aide or medical social service;
(e) "home health aide" means an employee of a home health agency who is a certified nurse aide, is in good standing on the public nurse aide registry maintained by the Kansas department for aging and disability services and has completed a 20-hour home health aide course approved by the Kansas department for aging and disability services who assists, under registered nurse supervision, in the provision of home health services and who provides assigned health care to patients but shall not include employees of a home health agency providing only supportive care services or attendant care services;
(f) "independent living agency" means a public or private agency or organization or a subunit of such agency or organization whose primary function is to provide at least four independent living services, including independent living skills training, advocacy, peer counseling and information and referral as defined by the rehabilitation act of 1973, title VII, part B, and such agency shall be recognized by the secretary for aging and disability services as an independent living agency. See Kansas Statutes 65-5101
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conservator: means an individual or corporation appointed by the court to act on behalf of a conservatee and possessed of some or all of the powers and duties set out in K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: means an individual or a nonprofit corporation certified in accordance with K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Minor: means any person defined by K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Residence: means the place which is adopted by a person as the person's place of habitation and to which, whenever the person is absent, the person has the intention of returning. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.