Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 322A – Professional Geologists
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 322A - Professional Geologists
- Action: includes all proceedings in any court of this state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Attorney: means attorney-at-law. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Board: means the Kentucky Board of Registration for Professional Geologists. See Kentucky Statutes 322A.010
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Geologist: means a person who is qualified by reason of his or her knowledge of the principles of geology, acquired by professional education and practical experience, to engage in the public practice of geology. See Kentucky Statutes 322A.010
- Geology: means the science which treats the earth as a whole. See Kentucky Statutes 322A.010
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public practice of geology: means the performance of service to the public in connection with the geological description, location, or evaluation of earth materials, liquids, and gases and the natural processes acting upon them. See Kentucky Statutes 322A.010
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Registered geologist: means a person who is registered as a geologist under the provisions of this chapter. See Kentucky Statutes 322A.010
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes territories, outlying possessions, and the District of Columbia. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Sworn: includes "affirmed" in all cases in which an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Year: means calendar year. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010